Eyeconic Eyewear is definitely one of the more unique online retailers on the market today. They are also one of the younger online retailers on the market but has expanded quite a bit over the years.
On the outside, when you take a look at Eyeconic you might think oh it’s just another online eyewear retailer, but they are not your traditional online eyewear retailer. Founded only in 2011 by insurance company Vision Service Plan (VSP) Global.
You might have heard of VSP before, they are a vision care health insurance company that operates worldwide and serves over 80 million people worldwide and is the largest vision insurance company here in the United States.
Eyeconic Eyewear was created by VSP originally as an online retailer that was exclusively for its members only. Over the years they have expanded and is no longer exclusive to its members and now provides prescription eyeglasses along with their contact lenses to all located within the United States. They currently do not ship international, but it is something that is currently being worked on and there will be more updates in the future.
Eyeconic Eyewear Review
I was drawn to Eyeconic Eyewear when I first discovered them due to the ability to use your VSP insurance online. This has always been one of the issues of buying prescription eyewear online for individuals who have vision benefits. I mean you can always pay for the glasses out of your own pocket and then get reimbursed, but this at times can be quite costly and not everyone has that kind of money sitting around. Eyeconic offered a way for you to apply your vision benefits directly to your online order and you would just pay the difference.
What You Should Have Ready
Since you will be making your purchase online there are a few things that you should have ready or be somewhat familiar with before you start.
Just with any reputable online retailer, you are going to need a current prescription to purchase eyewear or contact lenses from Eyeconic. It is generally recommended that you have a routine eye exam done annually, but at the very least once every two years.
If you have had an exam done within the last two years and have the prescription then all you would have to do is upload the prescription when you are placing your order.
If you do not have a prescription but you have had an exam done within the last two years there are two ways you can go about getting your prescription to Eyeconic. One, you can go to your doctor’s office and ask for a copy of your prescription, or you can supply your doctor’s information and Eyeconic will contact your doctor’s office to get a copy of your prescription for you. Of course, that does add to the processing time of your glasses by 1-2 business days depending on how fast they can get a hold of your doctor’s office, so I recommend only doing that if you are not in a rush for your eyewear.
And if you haven’t gotten an eye exam within the last two years then you will have to go get a new eye exam before you can get your glasses at Eyeconic.
Don’t know where to get your eye exam done at?
Well, remember when I mentioned that VSP Global owns Eyeconic? Well VSP is partnered with a network of 34,000 eye doctor’s all across the country and can help connect you with one of the doctors in the network close to you.
Another thing you are going to want to be familiar with is your PD measurement. This measurement is the distance between your eyes measured from the center of one pupil to the center of your other pupil. There are a few ways you can get this measurement.
The first place you can check for your PD measurement is on your prescription. Some eye doctors will write your PD on your prescription for you. This definitely isn’t always the case but would be the easiest scenario.
If you don’t see your PD listed anywhere on your prescription the next thing you could try would be contacting your eye doctors office where you got your prescription from and ask for it. Many times your doctor’s office will have your PD measurement written down on your charts.
If you can’t get it from your doctor’s office then you can always measure it yourself, or have a friend help measure it for you. You can find an easy to follow video here.
Even though Eyeconic doesn’t carry a huge selection of glasses for you to choose from, they do have a nice selection of eyewear to pick from. If you are someone who likes to wear designer brand glasses you are in luck, here at Eyeconic as they carry many top designer brands including Bebe, Calvin Klein, Gucci, Kate Spade, Lacoste, Nike, Ray-Ban and much more.
Picking Out Your Frame
When you are ready to search for your frame you will find the glasses organized into men, women, and kids and is separated between standard prescription frames and sunglasses. Once you select a category, then comes the fun part where you filter out all the types of glasses that you don’t want. There are many filters that you can add to narrow down your selection of frames you are looking at, you can filter by gender, brand, size, color, shape, rime type, material, nosepads, price, and if it’ll work with progressive lenses.
Picking Your Lens Type
After you settle on what frame you decided, at Eyeconic picking out your lens type is a bit different than compared to other online retailers. Before you can even add the frame to your bag you have to pick the lens type that you need. You have the following options
- Single Vision – This type of lens has a single power throughout the entire lens. With single vision lenses, you are able to purchase it for a couple of different things depending on how your prescription is designed for you to see. The most common single vision lens is for distance and is generally everyday glasses. Your single vision lenses can also be prescribed by your doctor for computer, as well as reading power ranges.
- Progressive – This type of lens as multiple power ranges throughout the lens and can be used to see distance, computer, as well as reading. Progressive lenses have your distance power near the top and slowly blends down to your reading power, with the computer distance in between. Progressive lenses do not have a visible line like standard bifocals do, and have the cosmetic appearance of a single vision lens.
- Non-Prescription – Of course for your fashionistas that like wearing eyewear just to wear them they do have a non-prescription lens option available. However note that if you are trying to use your insurance benefits, you might not be able to get non-prescription lenses. You should check with your plan before attempting to do so.
After you select your lens type you would then add the frame to your bag and continue on to view your bag to be able to edit the lens materials.
Picking Your Lens Material
When you get to your shopping bag screen you don’t really need to touch anything, just click continue. That will take you to a screen where you can sign in if you already have an account with Eyeconic, if not you can create one or just continue checking out as a guest. After you continue it will take you to a screen where you can select your lens package for your glasses.
The lens packages at Eyeconic comes in three different options.
- Silver – The silver package is your polycarbonate lenses. This lens comes with a scratch resistant coating along with 100% UV protection. Polycarbonate is an impact resistant material and will not shatter like plastic or glass. This lens package does not come with an anti-reflective coating and the coating would have to be added.
- Gold – The gold package comes with Trivex lenses which is a material that is lighter than polycarbonate. This lens also comes with a scratch resistant coating as well as 100% UV protection. The major benefit of Trivex lenses is its improved visual clarity compared to polycarbonate. This lens comes packaged with the anti-reflective coating so you will not have to add it on.
- Platinum – The platinum package comes with your 1.67 high-index lenses. These lenses provide you with the thinnest and lightest lens and is ideal for anyone with stronger prescriptions. High-index lenses are impact resistant but not as much as polycarbonate. High-index lenses do give you the most scratch resistant lens out of all of the plastic-based lenses. This lens package comes with 100% UV protection as well as the anti-reflective coating.
After you have your lens package selected you can move onto the optional enhancements.
The optional enhancements selection has two or three add-ons depending on which lens package you ultimately ended up choosing. These lens enhancements are definitely optional but can provide benefits depending on your lifestyle. These are your options.
- Anti-Reflective – This coating is a clear coating that is applied to the lens to help reduce reflections and glare from light to provide you with better visual clarity. This coating is especially useful at reducing glare from fluorescent lights indoors and can help with glare from car headlights and street lights at night time. It also provides you with a better cosmetic appearance for your lenses making them appear clear and not full of reflecting glare.
- TechShield Blue – The TechShield Blue anti-reflective coating is a premium coating that not only reduces glare but also filters out harmful HEV blue light that emits from digital devices such as smartphones and computers, as well as energy efficient lighting, and the sun.
- SunSync Light-Reactive Lenses – This is your option if you want photochromic lenses from Eyeconic. These lenses will darken when they are exposed to UV and will return to clear when you are indoors. These lenses do also provide moderate protection from HEV blue light.
After you decide whether or not you are going to get those enhancements you will move on to the next section where you will be able to submit your prescription for your glasses. You can either upload the prescription, or they can contact your doctor’s office and get your prescription for you. If you selected single vision you will be able to select whether you are going to be using your glasses for distance or reading here as well. After that, you are all done.
Eyeconic Contact Lenses
If you are a contact lens wearer, Eyeconic offers all of the most popular contact lens brands such as Acuvue, Air Optix, Dailies, Bausch & Lomb, Biofinity, and many more.
The convenient thing about getting your contact lenses at Eyeconic is the ability for you to apply your vision benefits directly to your order, which means less money coming out of your pocket. Eyeconic does offer a price match guarantee and will price match, authorized retailers if you find a lower price online. All you would need to do would be contact their customer service department within 30 days of your purchase.
Therefore if you have vision benefits through VSP, Metlife, or Cigna Vision, Eyeconic is a great place to buy contact lenses online.
Keep in mind that if you are a contact lens wearer, make sure you have a backup pair of glasses so you can give your eyes a break from your contact lenses in the evening, plus you never know when your eyes might be irritated and you might not be able to wear your contacts.
Shipping Cost & Time
Eyeconic offers free expedited 2-day shipping and has next day shipping available for $18 if you need your eyewear extremely quick.
Remember that is only the shipping time and the time to verify your prescription and fabricate your glasses if you are getting prescription eyewear. Prescription verification can take anywhere between 1-2 days, and prescription lenses typically take anywhere between 5-10 days depending on how complicated your prescription is and your choice of lens enhancements.
You also have the option to ship your glasses order directly to a local doctors office within the VSP network. Of course, you can pick which doctors office you have Eyeconic ship your glasses to, and from there you would just pick up your glasses from there. This can be beneficial just so you can get any adjustments you may need.
Return Policy & Warranty
Eyeconic has a fairly straightforward return policy. You have 30-days to get a full refund or exchange your frames for a new one but it has to be an equal or lesser value frame. If you have a higher cost frame in mind you can contact customer service and they can see what they can do for you.
The really cool thing about Eyeconic is their policy if your prescription changes. If your prescription changes within 6 months of shipping date Eyeconic will exchange your contact lenses or the lenses that are in your frames with no charge as long as you supply them with an updated prescription. Keep in mind the contact lens boxes must be unopened for the exchange. This is definitely a useful policy as there are times where your prescription may change within a short period of time.
As far as the warranty, Eyeconic offers a 1-year warranty that covers that frames as well as the lenses from defects in the materials or in the workmanship. The warranty covers scratches, chips, voids, and various other defects. Keep in mind that if you alter the frame in any way by gluing or bending the broken frames it will void your warranty. It also does not cover damage that is caused due to customer abuse, normal wear and tear, improper storage, and alterations.
Using Your Vision Insurance Benefits
For those of you who have VSP, MetLife, or Cigna Vision for your vision insurance you can apply your vision benefits directly to your order online. There is no paying out of your pocket and getting reimbursed, Eyeconic deducts out what your insurance would cover automatically based on your plan and you just pay the difference.
Connecting your vision insurance is easy, right on the homepage there is a button you can click that says “Use Your Insurance”. That button will take you to their secured Insurance Benefits page where you can enter your information to link your benefits. After that you are ready to shop, there is no submitting a claim or anything. You can check out how simple it is to apply your benefits here.
Eyeconic Coupons & Promo Codes
If you are looking for coupons or promo codes from Eyeconic, I have a few here for you. Unfortunately, if you are using your vision insurance benefits you are not going to be able to use coupons or promo codes. This is really standard procedure for most optical shops. Here are some exclusive coupon codes.
$20 OFF Orders of $100 or more | $20 off Eyewear $100 or more Click Here and Use Code: EYE20
**INSURANCE EXCLUSIVE** 20% OFF Sunglasses with VSP & Metlife Insurance | 20% off Sunglasses with VSP & MetLife insurance at Eyeconic.com!
Should you give Eyeconic a look? Absolutely! Eyeconic gives you a great all around experience when it comes to ordering your prescription eyewear online. With their extensive network of doctors, you can be sure that you will always have a place you can go to have your glasses adjusted so you don’t have to worry about that.
The only negative thing I really could find about Eyeconic is their lack of more affordable frames. If you are using your vision benefits online then that might not matter as much, but for those who may be planning on paying out-of-pocket but still want designer eyewear, there are other retailers where you can find designer eyewear that is more affordable.
Thank you for stopping by Eye Health HQ and If you enjoyed the article don’t forget you can support us by sharing this article through your favorite social media channels with the buttons located right below, thank you for your support!
OTHER ARTICLES AT EYE HEALTH HQ:
- Coastal Glasses Review
- Liingo Eyewear Review
- Warby Parker Home Try-On Review
- Ro-Sham-Bo Baby Review
- GlassesUSA Review
- Order Contacts Online With VSP Insurance