Bear in mind that some of the links on this website are affiliate links. If you go through them to make a purchase we will earn a commission at no extra cost to you but helps support our website. Keep in mind that we link these companies and their products because of their quality and not because of the commission we receive from your purchases.
This post was most recently updated on August 13th, 2020
It is 2019 and you can practically purchase anything online these days and have it delivered to your house. One of those many things is prescription contact lenses. While it isn’t anything new to be able to buy contact lenses online, it is however fairly new to be able to use your vision insurance benefits while purchasing contacts online.
The other day, I stumbled across a fairly newer online eyewear retailer that was run by no other than Vision Service Plan Vision Care health insurance company (VSP). Some of you may have heard of VSP before because they are your vision insurance provider.
Their website is called Eyeconic, and on their website, you are able to order your prescription contact lenses online using your VSP benefits. This means you will be spending less money out of your own pocket for your contacts, and not have to leave your home to do so. I will walk you through how easy the process is below. Visit their website if you want to follow along.
If you have VSP vision insurance and you want to apply those benefits towards your contact lenses from the comfort of your own home Eyeconic offers you a safe way to do so and is VSP’s official online store. You can apply your benefits directly to your order and may less money out-of-pocket. They also accept Metlife and Cigna Vision as well. Read on if you want to see a step by step on how to order your contacts online with VSP Insurance.
Order Contacts Online With VSP Insurance
Well, it is actually quite simple, when you are on Eyeconic’s home page right on the bottom there is a button that says “Connect Your Benefits”. Clicking that button will take you to a page where you are able to select if you have VSP, MetLife, or Cigna Vision.
After you select the vision plan that you have, you can click “Connect Now” and a new screen will pop up where you can fill in your information so the system can look up your benefits.
After you enter your information, the system will look up your policy and whatever your benefits are on your policy will be automatically applied when you go to check out for your contact lenses. Simple right? Eyeconic has designed a pain-free & simple way for you to apply your VSP benefits to your contact lens order on the internet.
You no longer have to worry about having enough money to pay it upfront, request the invoice from the retailer, and submit it to your insurance for reimbursement.
Do You Need a Prescription to Order Contacts from Eyeconic?
Yes, you do need a valid and current prescription to be able to order your contact lenses through Eyeconic’s website. However, if you do not have a current prescription, since this website is run by VSP, they have a network of 34,000 doctors that you can search and find the one closest to you so you can go get your eye exam done.
Is it Safe to Use Your VSP Benefits Online?
With anything online, it is definitely good to be more on the cautious side since there are plenty of scammers and identity thieves on the internet. So the concern of if it is safe to use your VSP benefits on the internet is a valid concern.
However, considering that this is VSP’s official online eyewear website I think it is relatively safe to use your VSP benefits online. The good thing about VSP also is that they only use the last 4 numbers on your social security number to look you up, so you don’t have to worry about having to enter your entire social security number online.
Tips to Save Money on Contact Lenses
When I have talked to my customers in the past, the biggest concern when it comes to contact lenses is always cost. It is a valid concern, after all, when you purchase a pair of glasses it is a one time purchase and you have that pair of glasses until they break. With contacts depending on which brand your doctor prescribes you could run anywhere from $200-$500 every year. Here are some tips to keep in mind when you are purchasing your contact lenses to save you the most money.
- Look for Promotions – Keep an eye out for promotions, promotions tend to change every month or so, keep an eye out around times such as back to school to find promotions.
- Buy in Bulk – Generally the larger quantity of contact lenses you buy the less expensive they get. If you have the budget to purchase an entire annual supply at once, you might be able to save some money.
- Look for Rebates – Manufacturers oftentimes run mail-in rebates where you can get money back if you purchase a certain amount of contacts. Generally, these are able to be combined with the buying in bulk rebates you get from your retailer as well. There is an opportunity for double the savings if you keep an eye out often.
- Don’t Wait Until Your Out – Waiting until you are out of contact lenses and having to overnight contact lenses is a huge expense that is very unnecessary. Always have a backup pair of glasses, or order before you run out so you don’t have to pay the extra shipping cost of expedited shipping.
- Understand your Insurance – Understanding how often you get your contact lenses to benefit is key to being able to maximize your benefits. Throughout the years of working, I see countless people waiting for 2 even 3 years between using their vision insurance benefits. This is a huge waste as most insurance plans renew every year for contact lens benefits, therefore you can get those savings annually.
As time goes on by the extra convenience that the internet that brought continues to get better. In the last couple of years, so many new things have developed from getting food and groceries delivered to your home, and now you are able to order your contacts online with VSP insurance through Eyeconic.
Save money today! Visit Eyeconic
Thank you all for stopping by at Eye Health Headquarters, if you have any comments, or questions, don’t hesitate to leave them below and I will get back to you as soon as I can.
RELATED ARTICLES FROM EYE HEALTH HQ:
- Best Place to Buy Contact Lenses Online
- Order Contacts Online At Walmart
- Cosmetic Halloween Contact Lenses